Tuesday 10 November 2015

Why New Mums Need To Relax

I remember the last two to three months of pregnancy being the start of it all. I was worried the baby would come early. And then I was worried he would come late, leaving me waddling in this awful discomfort forever! Finally, labour started. Next thing I know, I’m stressing out instead of engaging with this beautiful experience. I was frightened the contractions would carry on for hours when I was convinced I couldn’t handle even one more.

Of course, all this anxiety is normal and common for any first-time mum. And as soon as they’re born, you’re worried that you’re doing it all wrong, or that your milk isn’t good enough, or that you won’t be able to stop them crying. Most of these fears and stresses are hormone related. The rest is caused by sleep deprivation. So don’t be afraid to hand Bub over to Hub for a couple of hours. You’ve earned the break!


While I was big and pregnant, I found our bed to be so uncomfortable. There wasn’t enough room for a start. I think one of the most important things to invest in when you are about to embark on the journey of Motherhood is a good bed. Creating a relaxing Mummy space is so important, and I think that space needs to be the bedroom. For a start, you’ll be sharing that room with your baby in the first few months.

A comfy king size mattress, some good quality pillows, and blackout curtains are a must for any new Mum’s bedroom. You need to be able to escape there for a break when you need one. And you need to be able to sleep as often as you can in the beginning. A lack of sleep leaves you tired, grumpy and emotional. You end up unable to focus or gain any clarity of thought. Mistakes can happen. Trust me when I say that sleeping whenever Bub is asleep is essential!

Stress in new Mums is common, but that doesn’t mean you should ignore it. Stress and anxiety can cause problems with breastfeeding. Some say your newborn can detect you are upset and will become upset themselves. Getting snappy at your Hub can cause problems in your relationship. It might make him feel like an outsider in the family, and helpless to be able to support you as husbands should.

Make a space and a time in your home for relaxation. Even if it’s only for thirty minutes, you need to be able to shut yourself away and breathe. Meditation, Yoga, or just soaking in the tub listening to music can be really good for the soul. When you are refreshed, you will feel better able to tackle all the challenges that come with Motherhood.

Sometimes it’s not easy to get a timeout from your newborn. Don’t be afraid to ask friends and family to help you take care of your baby. After all, we used to raise children in the community long ago. It’s still the favoured way for many cultures. Take care of you to make sure you can be the best Mum you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment